Kainga, where Roses bloom, life is lived at a gentler pace.Living Simply, doing all those good things like stitching, gardening, cooking and reading.

Saturday, November 1, 2008

Look what has been growing in my pantry cupboard.


Hello,


Look what I have had in my pantry cupboard for the past couple of weeks. A Choko, the botanical name is Sechium edule. You cannot buy Choko's at your garden centre I purchased this one at the vegie department at my local shop. If you want to grow them all you have to do is put them in a dark place for a few weeks and they will sprout. Now is the time to do this. Choko is a herbaceous, semi-decidious perennial vine and it is extremely vigorious. The pear shaped fruit is eaten as a vegetable or stewed in sugar which tastes like stewed pears. The whole fruit is planted by partially burying it at a 45 degree angle, with the growing shoot facing downwards and the stem end slightly above the level of the ground. I hope my choko does grow. I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend.


Happy gardening.

Bev C

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Bev
Very interesting about that choko,Love your blog and am pleased to be your santa swap partner, I will be keeping in touch via your blog, sorry that I do not have a blog as I am not a very techy type of person, but I love to stitch, So will make you something very nice for your first swap.

Jossie said...

I just wandered in here while blog hopping. You have a very nice blog. Last century we lived in Australia for some years and I got this choko plant. Thought it was called chook. I really loved it as a vegie with a nice filling in it. I'm still very interested in everything that goes on in Australia. So I'll be back for a visit.