Kainga, where Roses bloom, life is lived at a gentler pace.Living Simply, doing all those good things like stitching, gardening, cooking and reading.

Monday, September 14, 2009

Surviving the winds.

Hello,

Well we managed to survive the wind that came and stayed for several days. I woke up Sunday and couldn't hear anything what a relief. The lattice panel outside our kitchen window blew over in the winds. The posts ripped apart at ground level. Yesterday we managed to retrieve part of it and plans are in place to put it up again next weekend. While it was windy I stayed indoors and finished making the cushion to match the raggy quilt. It has an envelope style closing on the back. Quick and easy to do and its edges formed part of the raggy bit. This was a lot quicker to cut and was soon put into the washing machine and of course it dried a lot faster as well.
Yesterday I took Ian out for the day as it was his Birthday on Saturday. On Saturday he went to the footy with Lucy and David so I stayed at home watching Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility DVD and did some stitching. On Sunday we went to the markets and I came across a group of young people with a stall selling some lovely soaps etc. The soaps were done up like cakes under glass cake domes,very enticing. I purchased a piece of Lemon and Poppy seed soap. The car smelt divine on the way home. I also got some giant sunflower seeds and two different variety of pumpkin seeds. With the seeds I already have coming up in trays we will have about four different kinds. I will have to make sure to plant them in different sections of the gardens. Last year I planted some Butternut pumpkins under the roses and they thrived. We had pumpkins for a long time.

I have done several of the blocks for the "Beach" quilt. I found that with these two blocks I omitted the pegs and clothesline applique. I had some little wooden pegs and some cord which I will use for the clothesline. I will have to add some borders to these blocks to make them the same size as the others. Last month I gave away "Sweethearts" wall hanging. It now is in its new home and even has a hanger to match. Please go and visit Lauren's new blog she has just started for her stitching and sewing projects. I just love the name she has given her blog,very clever Lauren. I posted my "Friendship Bag" to my swap partner last week. Hopefully it will arrive safely. I have plenty of stitchery patterns that I have downloaded from the net. I have decided instead of waiting to make many different projects I have started stitching them and will make a stitchery quilt. It will have all of my favourite things on it. Of course I don't know what it will turn out like so it will be a work in progress.
Happy stitching
Bev C

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad the wind has subsided. Sounds like perfect weather to finish your pillow. It's so pretty. How unique your soap is too! I can just imagine how wonderful that smells! Have a teriffic week.

Val Laird said...

Hi Bev, Love your cushion! I'm glad you are joining the "What is Love?" BOM. I look forward to seeing some photos! Happy stitching. Val

Dolores said...

I love those two block for your beach quilt. Can't wait to see all of them put together. Great looking pillow too.

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

Hey Bev I love the idea of a Beach Quilt!!! And what a colourful cushion that is...nice and bright for Summer...I love that home made soap and I bought some at the markets on Saturday...Lemon and Poppyseed, what a wonderful combination...Have a lovely day...Dzintra♥x

CJ STITCHING AND BLOOMS said...

Hello From Michigan, I heard about your awful winds, I am happy they have passed. Your cushion is lovely. I have never seen lemon and poppy seeds soap. I reckon it smelled heavenly. Hugs Judy

Marilyn Miller said...

Thanks for visiting me at Delights of the Heart. I love seeing your quilts, the raggy quilts are fun.

Mylene said...

Love the finish cushion, it is so bright and colourful.