Kainga, where Roses bloom, life is lived at a gentler pace.Living Simply, doing all those good things like stitching, gardening, cooking and reading.

Monday, June 3, 2013

"Crochet Golliwog Tea Cosy Tutorial"

Hello,

Now you may have been wondering about the "Licorice cover I was going to make" in my last post. You see I was being a bit cheeky. Licorice is the name/colour of my Maxwell and Williams Teapot. I bought it because of the name Licorice plus it has the strainer for tea leaves. So it was time to make a Tea Cosy for Licorice.

Mr Golliwog the Tea Cosy.
Introducing Licorice and his new tea cosy Mr Golliwog.


 I used the pattern for the Tea Cosy from Leah's blog. After working out how many chains I would need for the base row the pattern was very easy to follow. The only change I would add to it is to leave a length of wool when you start as one side you need to do several chain stitches for the button loop. Instead of using a new piece of wool you could use this length of wool. Leah's pattern states the stitches are half double crochets. If you follow patterns like I do this is a half treble stitch. I used a size 4 mm hook.


 Then the fun part started with making this into a Golliwog Tea Cosy. I used a smaller size 3 mm hook and used 8 ply yarn as in the Tea Cosy.

For the Head which you need to make 2 the pattern is as follows;

Make 3 chain, and form into a ring.

1st round. 3 chain, 11 treble, slip stitch to top of 3 chain.

2nd round. 3 chain, 1 treble into same place, 2 treble into each treble in previous round, slip stitch to top of 3 chain.

3 rd round. 3 chain, 1 treble into same place, 1 treble into next treble, then *2 treble into next treble, 1 treble into next treble, repeat from * to end,slip stitch into top of 3 chain to join.

4th round. 3 chain, 1 treble into same place, 1 treble into each of the next 2 treble, * 2 treble into next treble, 1 treble into each of the next 2 treble, repeat from * to end, slip stitch to join.

5th round. 3 chain, 1 treble into same place, 1 treble into each of the next 3 treble, * 2 treble into next treble, 1 treble into each of the next 3 treble, repeat from * to end, slip stitch to join. Fasten off.

Bow Strap.

With the blue wool, work 9 chain.

Next row: Miss 1 chain, 8 double crochet, 1 chain, turn.
Work as many rows of 8 double crochet using the 1 chain as you turn as you want to make the size you like for the bow.

Bow Strap.

With the Blue wool, work 3 chain.
Next row. Miss 1 chain, 2 double crochet, 1 chain, turn.
Work 11 rows of 2 double crochet, turning with 1 chain.
Sew the 2 short ends of the Bow together. Fold with the join at the back centre. Place strap around the Bow at the centre and join at the back

You then need to stuff the head lightly with toy full and join together with matching black wool. You can see in the photo I left a tail on the wool. I used this to then sew it onto the Tea Cosy. First though you need to give Golly some hair. I used a book marker that was 2 inches wide and wound the Black wool around this and cut along one side. I then used two pieces of wool at a time to make the hair. The crochet hook is perfect to pull this through, you then knot the hair. If the hair needs a cut this is the time to give him a trim. You then add his facial features. I used some buttons and as I didn't have any red felt I used the red wool to chain stitch his mouth. I followed the line of double crochets. Then you join him to the Tea Cosy with the left over black thread. I sewed along the half treble line again at the front and from the back as well for added support. His Bow Tie and Buttons were then sewn on.



Here is a photo of Mr Golliwog and his friend Jo the Golliwog which belongs to David. I also have crocheted a facecloth in blue 4 ply knitting yard which Mr Golliwog is sitting on.

Now I must have a cup of tea and introduce Mr Golliwog to the delights of  Afternoon Tea.

Happy days.
Bev C

19 comments:

Fiona said...

Oh he is so lovely and cheerful Bev... well done .... I hope to see lots of these around blogland - alas my crochet skills are not at that level...
He really is great...
Hugz

Christine M said...

Gorgeous Bev!

tales from a handmade home said...

Fabulous Bev........who could resist having afternoon tea with Mr Golliwog......very clever adaptation of Leahs' pattern.......I love it!!
Kim x

marina said...

what a gorgeous tea cosy!

Razzle Dazzle Quilter said...

Very clever! So right for your pot

Cheers

Linda

Anonymous said...

so clever,well done Bev.xx

CJ STITCHING AND BLOOMS said...

Very cute tea cozy,Bev. Very unique and Australian. Hugs Judy

Karen said...

What fun! Your tea cosy is perfect!

Petra said...

Hello Bev, they look very nice they looks like black Piet. Over here we have a child's party at the 5 of dec we shellebread the birthday of Sinterklaas. And he has many black Pieten and they help him to bring some present for the children. And this dolls looks like we call them zwarte Piet.
Maybe you can Google and reed the hole story it's a typical Dutch story, and Sinterklaas lives in Spain. Did you follow it, anyway your dolls looks lovely. I wish you a good day, take care and enjoy the good things of live. Greetings Petra.

Maria said...

Just Love the Mr Golliwog ( Oh!! are we allowed to say that) but the tutorial is double dutch to me as I don't crochet...LOL

Nat Palaskas said...

So cute! I love good tea cosies. I made a few myself and thanks for the pattern - Hugs Nat

Julie said...

Oh Bev that is just gorgeous - I do so love him!! I wish I could crochet - my friend is going to try to teach me this winter.
There is a lady here in N.Z. that makes gollies under the name of Licorish Kidz - kind of reminded me of your teapot :-)

Anthea said...

Hi Bev, I love your new blog header!
The Gollywog cosy is adorable, you are so clever to work all that out. What time are you putting the kettle on?! x

Melody said...

I think this is the best tea cosy I've ever seen.

Eggs In My Pocket said...

So darling and whimsical! Just love it!

Nicky said...

Love this guy, makes me want to start drinking tea... he looks very pleased with himself!
Nicky x

Julia said...

I love this Bev, I have made gollies, but this is just gorgeous. Could I please have your permission to share your tut with my embroidery girls group.
Julia ♥

sewbuddy said...

So adorable...I am wondering whaty size teapot this would fit.
thanks,
Ruth

sewbuddy said...

So adorable...I am wondering whaty size teapot this would fit.
thanks,
Ruth